Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Cranberry Chicken

I had a busy day planned and decided the crockpot would be the way to go!  I went on http://www.tasteofhome.com/ and found this recipe.  It's great because its super fast and easy!! I got it in the crockpot in under 30 minutes and that included thawing out some frozen chicken AND a trip to the grocery store! (I needed OJ and egg noodles!)  One downfall is if you didn't happen to freeze any cranberries from the holidays you might have a tough time finding them!


Chicken cooking in the crockpot

I used chicken breasts because that is all I had in my freezer, and they came out
amazingly tender! They just fell apart when I touched a fork to them!


I served the Cranberry Chicken over whole wheat noodles

I rate this recipe 3 out of 5 stars.  It is a mild, comforting dish that would be great on a
cold week day!  Try it...you might like it, you might not.  My husband wasn't so fond of it,
but then again he told me he really doesn't like the flavor of cranberries!

CRANBERRY CHICKEN

4-6 Servings Prep: 20 min. Cook: 5 hours 20 min.


Ingredients

1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 broiler/fryer chicken (about 3-1/2 pounds), quartered and skin removed
( I used 3 large chicken breasts)
1 cup orange juice (I freshly squeezed it)
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Hot cooked noodles

Directions

In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first five ingredients; top with chicken. Pour orange juice over chicken and sprinkle with orange peel. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat juices run clear.

Remove chicken. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; set aside and keep warm. Combine butter and flour until smooth; add to slow cooker. Cook on high until thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in chicken and brown sugar; heat through. Serve with noodles. Yield: 4-6 servings.


Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 403 calories, 22 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 117 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 33 g protein.



I served my Cranberry Chicken with a side salad



Side Salad

romaine
carrots
cheddar cheese
sunflower seeds


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts