Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner!--Stuffed French Toast

When I really don't know what I want to make for dinner, often I will turn to breakfast foods! We hardly ever have a hot cooked breakfast in the morning, so it works out good for us to have it in the evening!!

My favorite bread to use for french toast is Cinnamon Chip Bread from Great Harvest Bread Co.  I don't know if there is a store in your area, but if there is, try this bread....it is scrumptious!




I tried my stuffed french toast two different ways....

First try:


I cut the bread into a 2 inch slice.  Then I sliced that in half only 3/4 of the way. I stuffed it with a cream cheese mixture and a thin slice of ham from the deli.  I dipped the whole thing (it was huge!) in an egg batter and cooked each side.  It was pretty good, but a little soft for my liking.

So then I tried it this way to eliminate the super soft middle......

Second try:



This time I cut the bread into one inch slices and dipped in egg batter.  I cooked up both slices on each side. Then I used the same cream cheese mixture, except added pecans to it.  I also layered sliced bananas and strawberries on top of cream cheese.  This was sandwiched between the slices of cooked french toast.

I preferred the 2nd try much better!  I like how the french toast was cooked perfectly and not too soft.  As for fillings......I like both equally!


I served my french toast with some yummy potatoes!



I love these Hash Brown Potatoes! They always turn out wonderful! Usually I add red or green peppers, but I didn't have any on hand.




STUFFED FRENCH TOAST

8 oz. cream cheese, slightly softened
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla
1 loaf cinnamon chip bread or other bread
4 eggs
1 cup milk
1 T. cinnamon
sprinkle salt
splash of vanilla
strawberries, sliced thinly
bananas, sliced thinly
powdered sugar for dusting
real maple syrup

Mix together cream cheese, vanilla, and pecans.  Beat eggs and milk; add cinnamon, salt, and vanilla.  Cut  bread into 1 inch slices.  Prepare pan to medium heat or griddle to 325 degrees.  Lightly brush with oil or butter.  Dip bread into egg batter.  Grill on both sides until golden brown.  Place one slice on plate. Spread with cream cheese mixture, sliced bananas, and sliced berries.  Top with second sliced of grilled french toast.  Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with sliced strawberries and bananas. Serve with real maple syrup. And if you have some whipped cream in your frig, put some of that on top too!


HASH BROWN POTATOES

4 medium baking potatoes
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 medium red or green pepper, diced
2 T. flour
1/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
Lawry's All Seasoning to taste
1/4 cup butter (I usually use less)

Pierce potatoes; microwave, uncovered, on high for 12-14 minutes or until tender, turning once.  Cool slightly. (If I am in a rush I stick them in the freezer to cool). Peel and cube. Place potatoes in bowl with onion and bell pepper. In another bowl, combine flour, milk, salt, pepper, and Lawry's until smooth.  Pour over potato mixture and toss.  In a large skillet, melt butter. Add potato mixture and cook over medium heat for 15 minutes or until golden brown. 

Don't use red potatoes for this recipe...they are way to mushy!  You will end up with mashed hash brown potatoes, and they just aren't as tasty!

I rate both of these recipes 5 stars!

4 comments:

  1. yum looks like my kinda breakfast/dinner! I am loving your recipes I made your chicken parm with marinara for subs the other night it turned out delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok this loooks SOOO good! My baby is begging for it! :) I am planning my menu for the week and I had to come find out what to make! :) Wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharla--I am glad you are enjoying the recipes! The Chicken Parm Subs sound fabulous! :) Jena--I hope your dinners this week turn out fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts