Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

Creamy, cheesy, delicious pasta!  Mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food!  I have made several different recipes which call for regular cheeses and they always come out dry and not creamy enough.  When I found this one, I was leary of the Velveeta in it. (I don't care for processed cheese!) But I figured that the Velveeta would probably make it nice and creamy. So I decided to give it a try. And I am so glad I did!  I guess everything is okay in moderation!
 


Macaroni and Cheese

4 cups elbow noodles
4 T. butter
1 small onion, diced
2 T. flour
4 cups milk
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 lb. Velveeta cheese
Ritz crackers, crushed

Cook noodles as directed on package.  Drain and put in a 9x13 inch pan.  Melt butter in pan over medium heat.  Add onion and saute for several minutes.  Add the flour and mix until smooth.  Add milk, salt, and pepper.  Stir until boiling (this could take 15-20 minutes--be careful not to burn).  Boil for 1 minute.  Remove from heat.  Cut cheese into chunks and stir in until smooth.  Add elbow noodles and mix together.  Pour into pan and top with crushed crackers.  Bake at 375 for 20 minutes.  Serve immediately.

I halved this recipe and it easily fed four adults with some leftover.  I rate this recipe 4.5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. oooo..mindy! i tried the ziti recipe last nite & we looovvedd it! now mac n cheese!? what are you doing to me girl? next time you see me i may be 15 lbs heavier thanks to this blog;b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen--Glad to hear you enjoyed the ziti! Pasta is definitly a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts